News Update :

N. Korea cuts military hotline with South

Saturday, March 30, 2013



North Korea severed its military hotline with South Korea on Wednesday, breaking the last direct communication link between the two countries at a time of heightened military tensions.

The decision coincided with an announcement that the North's top political leadership would meet in the next few days to discuss an unspecified "important issue" and make a "drastic turn".


The hotline move was relayed by a senior North Korean military official to his South Korean counterpart just before the link was severed.

"Under the situation where a war may break out any moment, there is no need to keep up North-South military communications," the official was quoted as saying by the official Korean Central News Agency.

"From now, the North-South military communications will be cut off," he said.

Several weeks ago North Korea severed the Red Cross hotline that had been used for government-to-government communications in the absence of diplomatic relations.

Severing the military hotline could affect operations at the Seoul-funded Kaesong industrial complex in the North because it was used to organise movements of people and vehicles in and out.

The industrial estate -- established in 2004 as a symbol of cross-border cooperation -- has remained operational despite repeated crises in relations. "We are negotiating with the North to prevent any operational issues," an official from the Kaesong management committee told AFP.

"There is no problem with movement to and from the Kaesong complex at the moment." Cutting the hotline was the latest in a series of threats and actions that have raised tensions on the Korean peninsula since the North's long-range rocket launch in December and its nuclear test last month.

Both events triggered UN sanctions that infuriated Pyongyang, which has spent the past month issuing increasingly bellicose statements about unleashing an "all-out war".

Earlier Wednesday the North announced an imminent meeting of the ruling party politburo and launched a scathing attack on South Korea's new president, Park Geun-Hye.

Its Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea accused Park of slander and provocation after she made a speech warning the North that failure to abandon its nuclear weapons programme would result in its collapse.

"If she keeps to the road of confrontation... she will meet a miserable ruin," the committee said. In Seoul, some analysts suggested the North was fast running out of threats and targets for its invective as it sought to bully the international community into negotiating on Pyongyang's terms.

AFP
Share this Article on :

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may like this

 

© Copyright Global News 2010 -2011 | Design by Thaha Naleem | Published by Magazine Templates | Powered by Blogger.com.