News Update :

Mladic trial delayed after prosecutors' error

Thursday, May 17, 2012


At the end of the second day of the hearing in The Hague, Alphons Orie said he was delaying the war in Yugoslavia International Criminal Court because prosecutors had not fulfilled their obligation to share all its worth with Mladic lawyers.


He said the judges were still analyzing the "full scope and impact" of the error and it aimed to establish a new departure date "as soon as possible".

The delay was expected, after Mladic's legal team had tried to force the postponement of the trial for the same reasons. Prosecutors have admitted errors, but not yet provide an explanation, and has no objection to the delay in the presentation of evidence. They spent the first two days outlining their case.
Earlier in the morning Mladic showed some of the arrogance of its brutal climax applauding a film showing her young self threatening a Dutch UN peacekeepers in the hours leading up to the Srebrenica massacre of 8000 men and Muslim boys in 1995.


The former Bosnian Serb commander clapped his hands on his knees as a UN war crimes tribunal has shown 16 years of old pictures scream in the face of Colonel Thom Karremans, including the Dutch troops were unable to prevent genocide first on European soil since the Nazi Holocaust.

The Dutch UN commander was shown that a tall man faltering cries General Mladic to him, asking him why he had allowed NATO planes to bomb Serbian forces advancing and accusing him of helping the Bosnian Muslims.

"Did you order your soldiers to take my soldiers," he yells over the film.
On the video, Colonel Karremans is shown trying to appease the man dubbed the "Butcher of Bosnia", saying the NATO strikes were ordered centrally and Dutch troops defended themselves when their messages, in a UN "safe enclave", were attacked by Bosnian Serb forces.
"Do not fantasize," shouted Mladic.

"You Arms [Muslims]."
As Colonel Karremans clearly worried, whose troops were hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned, politely tried to cope with the tirade on the film, Mladic today could be seen nodding and smiling beating as he sat in the dock for war crimes the United Nations.
Then, to show he was always in control, the former Bosnian Serb general reported on time, make a T with his hands to mark a break. The film was stopped and the UN tribunal broke for a home five minutes - in a clear sign that Mladic is still calling the shots at his trial for genocide.
The region of Srebrenica had been designated as the UN "safe haven" and 600 Dutch infantry were supposed to protect thousands of civilians who had taken refuge from earlier Serb offensives in north-eastern Bosnia.

While Serb forces began shelling of Srebrenica, Bosnian Muslim fighters in the city requested the return of weapons they had surrendered to UN peacekeepers, but their request was denied.
Col Karremans, the Dutch commander, threatened to call in air strikes unless the Serbs withdrew. Mladic refused, but no air strikes came, Colonel Karremans had applied the wrong form.
Some bombs were later dropped but it was too late to stop the advance of the Bosnian Serbs.
Gen Mladic entered Srebrenica and summoned the Dutch commander to deliver an ultimatum to surrender the Muslims to a meeting that came to symbolize the West's impotence in the face of genocide.

A few days later, July 13, 1995, killings of unarmed Muslim first took place in a warehouse in the nearby village of Kravica. Three days later, the Dutch retreated from Srebrenica and the way was clear to the Bosnian Serb forces to invade the city. On July 21, 1995, more than 8,000 Muslim men and boys are supposed to have been killed.
Today, Mladic is heard his own words used against him as counsel for the United Nations seek to prove him guilty of genocide, based on his war diaries, intercepts and radio appearances to boast that has made on television during the Bosnian war.

The proof is in production that Mladic acted on the orders, the famous "seven Directive", from Radovan Karadzic, former Bosnian Serb president, to "create an unbearable situation of total insecurity with no hope survival or life for the inhabitants of Srebrenica ".
Video footage of the execution of Dino Salihovic, a Muslim of 16 years killed in Bosnia with other teenagers from Srebrenica, was presented at the trial of Ratko Mladic.

The film of the murder of Dino and five other men near Srebrenica in July 1995 is typical of shocking evidence and testimony presented at trial the first genocide in Europe since the Holocaust.
"You watch it go forward, their hands tied behind his back. We look at a flash of fire tearing through his back," said Dermot Groome, the prosecutor said.
As Dino falls to the ground, his red beret clad Serb killers, members of a paramilitary unit known as the Scorpions, shout "die a virgin."

The killings are typical of slaughter by Bosnian Serbs, led by Ratko Mladic, of 8000 Muslim men and boys in the fields and woods around Srebrenica.

The crime was one of many committed in the wake of the capture of the city by Bosnian Serb forces commanded by Mladic. The killers were so confident they would never face justice they are filmed.
DNA evidence has led to positive identification of all six victims: Dino, 16, Azmir Alispahic, 16, Safet Fejzic, 17, Smajil Ibrahimovic, 34, Sidik Salkic, 36, and Juso Delic, 25.
They had fled Srebrenica, declared "safe zone" by the United Nations, as the Bosnian Serbs advanced. Mr. Ibrahimovic and Mr. Salkic were forced to drag the bodies of their younger companions from the site in a murder abandoned cottage and were then killed themselves. The bodies were doused with petrol and set on fire.

Hague prosecutors are describing their proof of the alleged involvement of former military commander of Bosnian Serb General Ratko Mladic to kill Europe's worst mass since the Second World War, the massacre at Srebrenica in 1995.
The second day of the trial 70 years of genocide, prosecutors Yugoslav war crimes tribunal will focus on the highest point of the bloody 1992-95 war in Bosnia, where Serb forces systematically executed some 8,000 Muslim men and boys in the enclave of the UN-protected in northeastern Bosnia and buried in mass graves.

Mladic is accused of commanding the Bosnian Serb troops who carried out a campaign of murder and persecution to drive Muslims and Croats outside the territory they regarded as part of Serbia. His troops rained shells and bullets of snipers down on civilians in the siege of 44 months throughout the Bosnian capital, Sarajevo.

He refused to enter means, but denies wrongdoing.
On Wednesday, the defendant had an exchange of hand gestures with angry families of massacre victims in the public gallery, separated by bulletproof glass in the courtroom.
"Vulture!" said a woman in the gallery. He replied with a gesture slaying.
Mladic fled into hiding after the war and spent 15 years as a fugitive before international pressure on Serbia led to his arrest last year. Now, he is detained in a cell of a man in a special wing of an international Dutch prison and receives food and medical care that would likely be the envy of many in Bosnia.

But the fact that he is trapped and the trial is seen as a victory for international justice and hailed by observers as evidence that - usually - of war crimes tribunals obtain their suspects charged, even if years later .

Prosecutors say they will use evidence against Mladic over 400 witnesses, although very few of them to testify in court. Much of their testimony has been heard in other cases and will be admitted that the written statements.
Share this Article on :

1 comment:

JackprIN said...

I fully support you blog.There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this.Hague prosecutors are describing their proof of the alleged involvement of former military commander of Bosnian Serb General Ratko Mladic to kill Europe's worst mass since the Second World War.Makelaar Den Haag

Post a Comment

You may like this

 

© Copyright Global News 2010 -2011 | Design by Thaha Naleem | Published by Magazine Templates | Powered by Blogger.com.